What is Christian Science?
Want to learn more? Are you on a spiritual quest?
You will find the brief Tenets of our church towards the bottom of this page. These are the essential points of Christian Science.
Also below, you will find two important passages at the core of Christian Science and healing, and which are read at every Christian Science Sunday Service and Sunday School around the world.
Also, you may visit our Reading Room in person (next to our church). Here, you may speak with an experienced Christian Scientist, who will be happy to answer your questions and lead you to helpful resources. It's a quiet place for contemplation and prayer, as well.
A Daily Lift for You
The website of The Mother Church
Exterior - The Mother Church,
The First Church of Christ, Scientist,
in Boston, MA
Did you know?
are available for 3-month, 6-month and 12-month periods. Great for students going off to college or as Christmas gifts.
Mary Baker Eddy,
Her Life and Legacy
YouTube video from The Mary Baker Eddy Library (9:54)
The Library's website includes Mary Baker Eddy's life, her writings, her accomplishments and a timeline. It provides the history of Christian Science and the Church as well as setting all of these in their historical context.
The actual Library, along with The Mother Church, is a stop on various tours of Boston, MA.
In addition, the Library website has events, exhibits, the Mapparium (a 3D, stained-glass globe you can walk through), "Ask a Researcher", webcasts, podcasts, blogs and information on planning a visit (to name just some of the resources and activities available).
Check out these great topics:
Discover an Extraordinary Life - Mary Baker Eddy
Seekers & Scholars Podcast - This series "celebrates the spirit of inquiry" and provides "... monthly episodes at the intersection of scholarship and spiritual quest." Such as...
Among the first to stand -- Christian Science and women in [the British] Parliament
Webcast Programs - Fascinating webcasts on a range of topics, upcoming and previous, many with a historical context. Well worth checking out. Try these...
ᐈ Author talk with Professor Seth Perry [Princeton University]: 'In the beginning' ... America and Bible culture
ᐈ Faith, Freedom, and the Great War—Religious Meaning in World War I
Mary Baker Eddy:
A Life of Discovery
Lecture by Chet Manchester
The Scientific Statement of Being
There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures
by Mary Baker Eddy, p 468: 9-15
The Correlative Scripture
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
I John 3: 1-3
Each of the above passages is read at the end of our Sunday Service and Sunday School.
the first church
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Mary Baker Eddy
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures